Maya: Totus Village

Totus in MayaWith my work on getting even better frame rates in my engine, I’ve began instancing objects, z-ordering, scenegraphing, etc. And to make the most of this, I’ve begun to learn to use Maya with some helpful tips from the artists and work. So I’ve started to improve the quality of my original Totus Village model I made using Milkshape3D.

As you can see I’ve added doorways now, and well as roofs (although some are still not quite complete roofs yet). There is a new terrain being work on, that will hopefully be better for area Totus village is in (between two mountain ranges, with a forest to the south and plains to the north).

I’m currently decided what to do with the walls, its hard to tell from the original SNES graphics what they were trying to do with the walls. On the one hand they appear to be supported by beams, on the other those shadows on the beams could just the be the wall on the upper half. I’ve began working on a tool that takes the COLLADA file and converts it to my geometry format, as well as some geometry optimisations through Tootle.

Totus Village from Tales of Phantasia

Totus VillageA model of Totus Village I create for my A.G.T assignment for university. This model was made using Milkshape3D.

I started off my matching the ground to the size of the SNES version from the game Tales of Phantasia, one unit being one square. With this done, I could correctly map the walls and outer part of buildings to where they were in the game.

Totus Village 1With that done I moved the vertices for the river, down one unit so that there was depth for the river. And extruding the wall quads upwards to creating a town wall.

To finish off the basic town setup, I created the buildings by placing new vertices for each corner of the wall, and forming two faces with them.

Totus Village 2One problem when viewing the map in game is that it is possible to see the end of the world from a distance, that and the buildings are too tall.

So using a terrain generator within Milkshape3D and Photoshop, I made a height map for a mountain light region surrounding the town.

Totus Village 4More recently I’ve started adding roofs to some of the buildings, and I created a rock object which I place around the town.

Some of the building are difficult to perceive what the roof looks like due to the way they were made in Tales of Phantasia.

Compaq Presario

Compaq Presario Laptop Front A 3D model representation of my Compaq Presario laptop I had when I first came to university.

This was at the time the most complex model i had made using Milkshape3D.

I started with the touchpad and built everything else around by triangle by triangle.

Compaq Presario Laptop BackI guessed it would have been a lot each to cut holes into it if I have a Boolean subtraction tool for the lid holes.

I still haven’t got around to finish it off by adding a keyboard. Though at some point the amount of triangles do need to reduced and cleaned up as the normals are a little messed up.

Blite: Direct3D

Blite 3D

When I began to program in C++, I’ve found I can do so much more than I could with Visual Basic. With C++ being faster, I’ve been slowly converting over all my code from Visual Basic into a DLL for Visual Basic to use, to the point where my DirectDraw code is within the DLL.

So the natural order of it was to start writing programs in Visual C++, removing the need for Visual Basic. And instead of DirectX7, I’ve moved onto DirectX8 where DirectDraw doesn’t exist anymore, instead 2D must be done using 3D, so I have began making my Blite game in 3D.

I made a model in Milkshape3D, which I then exported to the DirectX mesh format known as “.x” files. However since I didn’t understand about textures at the time, the same texture got applied to everything as shown in the image due to my combining meshes in Milkshape3D.

Using my first scripting language I created, the camera would rotate around the center of the pedestal. At the time I found that it strangely worked faster than actual machine code, only to then realise that I was running in debug (I didn’t know release mode existed).