Journey Home

220px-Messier51_sRGBSince I never seen to get around to finishing one of my own games, I’m going to use time off in December to make one from my ever growing list of ideas. It is a space game where you are catapulted to a random square in a 32×32 square galaxy and need to find your way home without knowing where it is. Along the way you can potentially meet other players who may attack, help or just ignore you.

Upon jumping to a square, you can navigate without consuming jump driving fuel about a 16×16 square of the local cluster of stars. Once here you can scan a star system for resources before jumping to a solar system level. Resources and materials are used for building new tech to help you navigate dangerous radioactive nebulae, or harsh gravity conditions. I was thinking a 3D printer on your ship, which you also need to build replacement parts for every so often to maintain it, which will also limit on what it can make if you don’t upgrade it.

300px-Hubble2005-01-barred-spiral-galaxy-NGC1300Though I have been told that it sounds like X: Beyond the Frontier, even the storyline is the same. Maybe I played it many years ago and forgot.

I’ve so far created a few methods for procedurally generating galaxies. Since there are many galaxy shapes, I was hoping as an upper aim to allow a hard mode where you get sent a random galaxy and you have to find your home within a block of 64×64 galaxies as well.

Space Blast (Source)

super_metroid-final_boss-wall_bbs-small-beamI finally got around to zipping the Space Blast source up ready for download. And here it is, I haven’t run it since January 2005 when it was due, and I haven’t used Blitz Basic since then, so I don’t know if it can just be run, an old version of Blitz may be required.

The picture to the right is unrelated, I just wanted something to brighten up this short entry.

Space Blast (Version 1.0.0) (615 downloads)

Escape From ASDA (Source)

The quests can now be authored more in Lua. There are conditionals for whether the quest is active, and whether the quest is complete.

I’m tempted to make the entire game in Lua, and just use the application as an intermediate for calling functions and rendering. Then I could just execute functions within rooms / npcs for the relevant dictionary word.

There are still some flaws in the text output, like it doesn’t split up words onto new lines if they are longer than the line width.

Next on the list is 8×8 Board Games, get rid of that horrible green.

Escape From ASDA v2.0.0 (MacOSX) (403 downloads)

 

Escape From ASDA v2.0.0 (Win32) (396 downloads)

Escape From ASDA (Update)

Escape From ASDA - Title ScreenThis weekend I’ve been going through files I’ve been meaning to upload to my website for some time now.

I’ve got all the World of Warcraft addons finished, so I began on the C++ games I made at university.

Escape from ASDA is one of them, I was gonna upload it as it was but after noticing a few memory leaks.

As I started to clean up the code, and then got a little carried away and practically rewrote most of it.

Escape From ASDA - IngameOriginally it used a custom text file format for data, that was % deliminated, now it uses Lua which makes it at lot easier to understand when editting.

I also modified the title screen to use a bit of ASCII art, and made the commands more flexible.

Unfortunately unlike v1.0.0, it does not support mouse input for navigation. And since you can’t seem to change the console caret in MacOSX, I’ve had to make a custom console buffer that I use to render to before outputting.

There are a few more changes I plan to do to make the game script more flexible before I upload the source, but for now where is the binaries for Win32 and MacOSX.

Making it compile on WIN32 again was a pain, much more than it should have been, maybe its just the Microsoft implementation of STL…

Escape From ASDA v2.1.0 (Win32) (406 downloads)

 

Escape From ASDA v2.1.0 (MacOSX) (413 downloads)

Maya: Totus Village

Totus in MayaWith my work on getting even better frame rates in my engine, I’ve began instancing objects, z-ordering, scenegraphing, etc. And to make the most of this, I’ve begun to learn to use Maya with some helpful tips from the artists and work. So I’ve started to improve the quality of my original Totus Village model I made using Milkshape3D.

As you can see I’ve added doorways now, and well as roofs (although some are still not quite complete roofs yet). There is a new terrain being work on, that will hopefully be better for area Totus village is in (between two mountain ranges, with a forest to the south and plains to the north).

I’m currently decided what to do with the walls, its hard to tell from the original SNES graphics what they were trying to do with the walls. On the one hand they appear to be supported by beams, on the other those shadows on the beams could just the be the wall on the upper half. I’ve began working on a tool that takes the COLLADA file and converts it to my geometry format, as well as some geometry optimisations through Tootle.